I am Brenton Alker, hailing from Brisbane, Australia.
As a software developer and chronic lurker, I can often be seen hanging around the fringes of various communities.
I am currently enamoured with the Functional Programming community where I am attracted to their ideal of “doing software right” by producing small units of simple functionality that are “obviously correct”, then composing into larger systems. While I don’t believe this methodology is specific to functional style programming, the community is (in my experience) more focused on this quality.
If you want to get in touch, I shouldn’t be too hard to find.
Technologies and Skills
- PHP – Silex, Zend Framework, Symfony2 Components
- .NET – C#, VB, .NET MVC, WebForms
- CSS – Sass, Less
- Java – Android
- Objective C – iOS
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Functional Programming
- Service-Oriented Architecture, Micro-Services
- API Design
- Requirements Elicitation and Specification
- Agile Development
- SCRUM style
- Test Driven Design
- Information Systems
- Database Design
- Query Optimisation
- API Integration
- RSS, Atom
- Automated Testing
- Unit – PHPUnit, NUnit, Karma
- Integration/Behaviour – WatiN, Selenium
- Linux – Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Docker
- Web – Apache, Nginx
- Database – MySQL, MSSQL, Postgres
- Mail – Postfix
- Proxy – Varnish
- Version Control
- Subversion (SVN)